Gents Competition Regulations
Rule 1: You must ENTER and PAY before you PLAY
Rule 2: You must observe the RULES OF GOLF during the round
Rule 3: You must RETURN ALL SCORE CARDS
Rule 4: Decisions of the Competition Committee are FINAL
Clarification of Competition Rules
Rule 1 – Competition Entry
1. Sign the book
2. Enter on the ‘players entry screen’
3. Affix the printed label to the top of the score card
Exceptions to Rule 1 – (When the problem is outside of the players control)
Problem – Computer Failure
Action: Sign competition book and pay.
Problem – Access to the clubhouse (This only applies to members on the time sheet)
Action: If at the allocated tee times, the club has not provided access to the clubhouse, players may proceed with their game and upon completion MUST complete the entry process and return ALL score cards.Please note that this will be at the discretion of the competition committee.
Rule 2 – Rules of golf
The competition committee have no discretion to penalties incurred within the rules of golf.
Rule 3 – Score Cards
All score cards must be returned whether the round is completed or not
All competitions must start at the first tee unless otherwise instructed by the competition committee.
Players should use the online booking system (or ring the office) to reserve a tee time.
A competitor must start at the time allocated.
If a competitor is late, they shall forfeit their position and shall not be allowed to play until a vacancy occurs.
Players should notify their opposition and partners in good time if they are withdrawing from the time sheet.
The competition committee reserve the right to alter the time or date of any competition as necessitated by the weather, the conditions of the course, insufficient entries for the competition or such circumstances as they see fit.
Any person with a current GUI handicap (competing or not) can sign a card for a person playing in a competition.
First on the timesheet has the honour and please exchange cards on the first tee.
Rules of Play
A maximum of 3 balls shall be played during weekend competitions unless otherwise specified by the committee. Sunday: No 4ball allowed during Competition time. Saturday: 4ball allowed to play for Sunday Comp.
Captain’s and President’s Prizes
Only Full Members can win a prize or qualify for a playoff.
The Ladies-Gents Officers may include a section with separate prizes for other membership categories i.e. 3 Day Senior-Country-Beginner-Juvenile.
To be eligible to win a Captain’s or a President’s prize a minimum of 4 x 18 hole single competition cards in Bantry Bay Golf Club must have been returned in the 12 months prior to the event.
Local Rules @ Bantry Bay Golf Club
Please check the notice board for updated local rules, on the day conditions of play.
1. Movable Obstructions (Rule 24_1) Stones in bunkers are movable obstructions.
2. Immovable obstructions (24_2). All road or other artificially surfaced walkways-paths are immovable obstructions.
All stakes, golf course signage, ball washers, sleeper steps, Flowerbeds sleepers (if sleeper interferes with swing).
Watering installations, telegraph poles, seats, signs, All distance stakes and markers.
All fixed sprinkler heads-drain covers close to putting green (rule 24_2) Relief from interference by an immovable obstruction may be obtained under rule 24-2.
In addition, if a ball lies off the putting green but not in a hazard and an immovable obstruction on or within two club-lengths of the green and within two club lengths of the ball intervenes on the line of play between the ball and the hole, the player may take relief as follows:
The ball must be lifted (may be cleaned when lifted) and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball lay, that:
(a) Is not nearer the hole,
(b) Avoids the obstruction and
(c) Is not in a hazard or on a putting green. Relief under this local rule is also available if the player’s ball lies on the putting green and obstruction intervenes on his line of putt.
The player may take relief as follows:
The ball must be lifted and placed at the nearest point to where the ball lay that:
(a) Is not nearer the hole,
(d) Avoids intervention and
(e) Is not in a hazard.
3. Out of bounds (Rule 27-1), All boundary walls-fences marked by white stakes, Flower beds behind the 5th + 18th green (relief from sleeper if your ball is in play), machinery shed / yard left of 14th & 15th.
4. All other parts are integral parts of the course, Ball in machinery yard between 1st & 3rd holes
(Rule 28, unplayable).
5. Water hazards (Rule 26) Water hazards are defined by yellow stakes, Lateral water hazards are defined by red stakes. All stakes are in the hazard.
6. Balls striking ESB cables / Ball must be replayed without penalty.
7. Distance measuring devices (Rule 14_3).
8. GUR (Rule 25-3), A ball lying on a Tee or Green (Ball and stance) other than that of the hole being played must be dropped under rule 24_2 (one club length from your nearest point of relief – ball and stance).
9. Staked Trees (Rule 24_2), Relief is permitted from staked trees only.
10.Accidentally (Player or Partners, ) moving the ball on the Green – No Penalty
Ladies Rules will be posted on the ladies Notice Board.
If anyone has any suggestions/questions please email them to the relevant committee.